Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

I have a manual 2010 520d and I just got it but I noticed

Hi I have a manual 2010 520d and I just got it but I noticed during the day the gear shift indicator was a white color but now its red
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: no none
JA: What is the model of your '10 BMW?
Customer: f10
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing I didnt know if it was normal or not it's not flashing just the light that tells me to change gear was white now its red
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that's it thanks

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade, hopefully I can help.

The gear selection indicator on your BMW from the details I have should change colour when the lights are on to allow it to be less intrusive at night. This is normal and not an indication of any problem.

If you have the steptronic transmission the light will change from white to red when the engine speed is higher to indicate it is time to change gear.

I hope this answers your question but do please feel free to ask any further details by replying to this thread.

Many Thanks

Steve

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thanks Steve, thats what I was hoping it was I couldn't find anything in the manual or on Google.
Thanks again.
Mike.

Hi Mike

Your welcome.

Stay safe.

Steve