Steve
Steve, Vehicle technician
Experience:  Garage owner for thirty five years
106618989

How many litters of anti freeze do I need for my x5 3.0i,

how many litters of anti freeze do I need for my x5 3.0i
JA: Has your car been overheating? Have you noticed any leaks?
Customer: yes and it has just normal water I want to flash out
JA: What year is your X5?
Customer: 2002
JA: Are you fixing your X5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I just want to flush out normal water and replace it with anti freeze but I don't know how many litters I need
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: also theres a cable from aircleaner whenever I plug it the just cut out or sound funny but when I unplug it runs okay

thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade, hopefully i can help you.

The total capacity of the cooling system on your BMW is 9.5 litres, the recommended mix is 50% so the antifreeze needed for the system would be 4.75 litres.

The recommended coolant is listed as longlife blue.

The cable from the air cleaner may be the ambient temperature sensor, if this is faulty this will affect the running, unplugging it revert the system to a set parameter.

I hope this answers your question but do please feel free to ask any further details by replying to this thread.

Many Thanks

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello

Can I answer any further details for you.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what else do I need to mix with anti freeze
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I solve sensor issue

It is recommended to use distilled or deionised water to mix with the antifreeze, this assists the anti corrosive properties. It is available in Halfords and similar outlets.

The sensor will need to be checked using an EOBD scanner to locate the problem, once the scanner is plugged in it should retrieve a code to identify the problem. If this determns the sensor to be at fault it will need to be changed.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you very much thats all for now

Ok, I will be on again tommorow if you need any further help, just reply to this thread.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay thx

No problem

Steve