sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

Its a 640 avr. upper turbo failed due to low oil pressure. I

Customer Question

Its a 640 avr. upper turbo failed due to low oil pressure. I have replaced it. Still not running rite. I have 2 fault codes.24CF00 and 244C00.
JA: How old is your oil pump? Has the check engine light come on?
Customer: The sump plug loosenend and the car shut down.
JA: What year is your Turbo?
Customer: Its not my car but it quite new. all I know is its a 640 avr. twin turbo. I have just replaced the top one with OE one.
JA: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have fitted a new OE top one. All I want to know is the fault codes I have now pointing towards the lower turbo
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: BMW
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 11 days ago.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I will wait for a reply thanks
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The car lost all its oil due to slack sump plug. The engine hasn't suffered any damage. The top turbo is destroyed. A new OE one is now fitted. Car not running correctly. Does these fault codes suggest the low
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Does these fault codes suggest the lower turbo has suffered damage?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 10 days ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Please continue. Also please ask how to get a non running 640 avr into neutral so can be moved out of the garage. Thanks
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 10 days ago.
Hi, my name is***** your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.Dear customer, have you done a diagnostic so far?
If so, could you share the codes with me please?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The car dump plug came loose losing all the engine oil. It shut down. I have replaced the top turbo which was broken OE turbo. I'm now thinking the lower turbo is damaged aswell. The car is running better now but not rite. These are the fault codes now.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Sump plug I mean.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Does these codes relate to pressure between the 2 turbos?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hello????

Dear customer, the first error code is referring to the maf (mass air control) sensor, the maf sensor is in charge of obtaining a reading of the amount of air mass passing through the intake to the engine, that first error code is telling that there is a problem in the reading of the maf sensor. Before going to proceed to verify the second turbo, I would recommend you firstly corroborate that you do not have problems of vacuum leaks in the air emission system or that there are no vacuum leaks In the area that is from the turbo to the pipes and later to the throttle body and intake manifold, I also recommend that you check the air intake manifold, all this is good to check by pouring liquid with the engine running from all edges and connections of the intake manifold, but with great care that it will not enter the turbo so as not to damage it, this is a vacuum test that is done to corroborate that if pouring liquid through the air intake the engine tries to shut down, if it is so, effectively you are in the presence of a leak in one of these pipe networks or in one of the components of the air intake system.

For the second error code, you are talking about the boost controller system, a boost controller is a device to control the boost level produced in the intake manifold of a turbocharged or supercharged engine by affecting the air pressure delivered to the pneumatic and mechanical wastegate actuator . I recommend that you also check it before proceeding to check or replace the turbo.

Do you understand me, dear customer?
My goal is to give you the best experience possible that's why i am sorry for the delay! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you!
Keep safe.
Kind regards, Sebastian.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks very much. The car was running perfectly until it lost its oil. Obviously the highest turbo was starved of oil and broke. It's running a bit better now with a new OE one. My money is the bottom one is damaged. All vacuum and pipework is sound. Can you tell me how to select neutral when it won't start once I remove the lower turbo?
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 9 days ago.

Dear customer, sorr, what do you mean wht selecting neutral?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Once I have the car on a ramp and have the turbo removed I can't start the engine. I can turn the ignition on to release the EPB. But I can't select neutral to be able to push the car out to free up the ramp. We had an ol
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Older one in and you removed the coul around the gear selector and put a screwdriver in a small hole and this allows you to select neutral. The 640 avr doesn't seem to have this option?
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 1 hour ago.

Hello dear customer, i apologize for my long delay to get back to you. I had some personal issues due the lockdown.

About the release mechanism the 640 avr do not have it. You need to do it releasing the shift lever.

Did you already release it?