sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

Fire by rear window.Heated rear windscreen on.Acrid smoke

Customer Question

Fire by rear window.Heated rear windscreen on.Acrid smoke then flames.7 year old 6 series BMW.Write off.Surely fuse should have cut out.Recourse to BMW?
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?
Customer: No.
JA: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: 63 plate.6 series640D M Sport Coupe Auto
JA: What year is your Coupe?
Customer: 2014
JA: Are you fixing your Coupe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Assessor written off.Bad fire damage
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks
Category: BMW
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 7 days ago.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Happy to wait
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 6 days ago.

Hi, my name is***** your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. I apologize for any delay.

Dear customer, what happens is that there are circuits that go directly to the fuse box, but not all the wiring reaches the fuse box, let's talk that they go directly to the electrical circuit, these do not cause the fuses to burn.

Surely, the short had to have occurred in one of these wiring, so the vehicle failed to cut the power.

You could try to refer it to the BMW, but it is not 100% certain that they can make you fulfill any guarantee, the truth is that this would be a matter of contract laws rather than mechanical failure, but my experience has never seen a case, in which the dealership becomes responsible for a vehicle after 2 years, the maximum is that the insurance does respond against this kind of accident but you must have the vehicle insurance.

Do you understand me, dear customer?
My goal is to give you the best advise i can, therefore please do not doubt to ask if you have any doubt or if there is anything else i can help you with.
Kind regards, Sebastian.