sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I have a 2007 Mini Cooper which has red light with lock

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Mini Cooper which has red light with lock showing what is the cause of it and what is the solution thank you
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: This isa red steering wheel with a shape of a lock on it
JA: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I have not worked on I would like to know what has caused the light to be on before I start
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: BMW
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 16 days ago.

Hi, my name is***** your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.

Dear customer, the warning light that you have on the dashboard is a warning of a failure in the steering column locking system, so it is likely that inserting the key or trying to start the vehicle does not unlock the steering column or its running response is canceled.

Red steering wheel and inability to start the vehicle (lock). In the first BMW and mini models that no longer have a conventional lock on the steering wheel, they incorporate an electric steering column lock (ELV). The steering column forms an integrated assembly with the ELV, they cannot be changed separately and in the event of an airbag activation, it is necessary to replace the assembly depending on the version.
The ELV function is managed by the CAS (Car Access System) unit, which is the one who orders the locking or unlocking of the electrical interlocking of the ELV column. It does this by controlling its power supply and a coded communication line. Before deciding to replace the ELV module, we will perform a Reset of the steering Lock Failure Counter in the CAS unit. This reset can be found in Service Functions or Configurations depending on the model of the diagnosis terminal. The CAS unit counts the malfunctions in the steering column locks and when the maximum margin of the manufacturer is exceeded, it disables the vehicle from starting. If the reset does not solve the fault, then we will proceed to verify the electrical installation and replace the ELV assembly.
My goal is to give you the best advice i can based on your description, I hope to be helpful, if you have any doubt please do not hesitate to reply back.
Kind regards, Sebastian.