sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

What’s happening boss I’ve got a bmw 420d MSport and I’m

Customer Question

What’s happening boss I’ve got a bmw 420d MSport and I’m getting right side dipped headlight failure, I believe it’s the headlight ballast that has failed. I am going to order at fit myself but I want to make sure I order the correct one can you assist?
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: I haven’t no the bulb seems fine the headlight flickers on and off when driving for about an hour but up until that hour they work fine, when stationary and cold they work fine also
JA: What year is your Fit?
Customer: 2015 coupe, I’ve had a look on bmw forums and it seems quite common
JA: Are you fixing your Fit yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I will be yes I haven’t tried anything yet it happened as I was driving to work this morning
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Could the wiring have been knocked loose? I was doing 110mph was when it started.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 7 days ago.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
You’d be as well cancelling I’ve ordered replacement parts
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 7 days ago.

Hi, my name is***** your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.

Dear customer, in these 420 models when it comes to locating spare parts there is a problem, because BMW just made 420 models until March 2015, just in March 2015 the new models arrive, but it is not difficult to solve in your case, because as it is an external part, simply by observing visually you can determine which is the exact replacement for your 420, If you already buy the parts, and you need more help please let me know.

My goal is to give you the best advice i can based on your description, I hope to be helpful, if you have any doubt please do not hesitate to reply back.
Kind regards, Sebastian.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thanks seb. I doubt it’s a bulb or fuse as my daytime running lights, sidelights and full beam works fine and the bulb flickers whilst on dipped beam (Im guessing your American and I’m not sure what you guys call it) I believe it’s the headlight ballast (control module) that needs replacing I’ve ordered a bmw manufactured ballast for £40 and I’ll fit myself if that doesn’t work I’ll change the bulb and if that doesn’t work I’ll change the full headlight, would you recommend otherwise?

Dear customer, I really agree with you, if the fuses are correct and the light bulb is correct, the only thing that is necessary is a diagnosis to check the status of the control module, but if you do not have diagnostic access, I do not recommend spending unnecessary money on the diagnosis , locate a tester or multimeter and place it from the connector to check if there is indeed electrical signal in it and if there is, it directly replaces the headlight.