CarDoc
CarDoc, Vehicle Technician
Experience:  IMI L3 Motor Vehicle Mechanic
105313175

It has failed its mot because the horn isn’t working. A

Customer Question

It has failed its mot because the horn isn’t working. A diagnostics test done by the bmw garage said it’s the switch cluster. Is this shown on a diagnostics test as people are telling me it wouldn’t & it could just be a fusrt
JA: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: Series 1 2014 114i sport hatchback
JA: Are you fixing your Hatchback yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: the garage have quoted £700 which seems a lot for a horn
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no I think that’s all
Category: BMW
Expert:  CarDoc replied 6 days ago.

Hi, How are you?
I'm Shabaz, one of the automotive experts, I'm sorry you're experiencing problems with your car, I will do my best to help you today.

Have you tried taking the car to an independant garage for a second opinion? £700 is normal for BMW, not really surprised.

Expert:  CarDoc replied 5 days ago.

Since I received no response, I will leave you with a general answer and I hope this helps.

To diagnose this issue, (assuming that the fuse has been checked) the wiring at the horn needs to be tested with a multimeter set to DCv and then get a second person to press the horn and see if you are getting power when the horn is pressed. If there is no voltage, you will need to access the wiring to the horn switch (it will have 2 wires) and you should have 12v on one of the wires. If there is power on one wire, there is a problem with the horn switch or clock spring. The clock spring allows the steering to turn freely whilst maintaining an electrical connection to the various switches and controls on the steering

These parts are available to buy used on ebay and you can then use an independant BMW specialist to fit these parts which will cost you a fraction of the £700 BMW are charging.

Thank you for visiting Just Answer.