sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

My partner changed the steering wheel and disconnected e

Customer Question

Hi there, my partner changed the steering wheel and disconnected e battery yesterday; the steering wheel mechanics are the same and after we finished car worked perfectly, however this morning engine isn’t turning over and only making ticking noises. We believe it maybe a electronic issue as the car is also making a hiss noise?
JA: Have you changed a battery before?
Customer: No; we only recently bought this car it is a 57 reg, my partner has checked the bat the Roy and it is showing is has power
JA: Are you fixing your 57 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: he is checking the components within the electronics box the car is a BMW X5
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: all the components connections are looking healthy
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Car is showing all errors now engine management, Literally showing every error possible
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 24 days ago.

Expert:  AlinaK-admin replied 21 days ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Alina-Moderator
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 20 days ago.

Hi, my name is***** your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.

Dear customer, I am sorry that you are presenting these problems with the ignition system, to give you an answer with basic concepts your vehicle is not starting due to problems in the starting system or the battery power is not adequate.

When the battery is worn, it does not have enough energy to turn the starter motor correctly, therefore the vehicle cannot start correctly, I understand that the battery is fine but it is good to try with another battery since even when it has the load cells may be worn or damaged, that is why you may be presenting error codes regarding the alternator signal.

If the problem persists once the battery has been replaced, it is very likely that you will need to service the starter motor or you have not performed maintenance there for a long time, a starter motor has internal moving parts which are highly lubricated to be able to turn the starter motor with enough force. With the passage of time you can present lubrication problems which causes the starter motor to stick, for this vehicle does not start.

And finally, you may be presenting problems in the starter motor relay, the starter motor has a relay which is the one that gives the energy to turn when the relay does not work, you can hear a ticking noise but there is not ignition, that noise is also characteristic when the starter motor is stuck.

These are the aspects that must be verified, dear customer.

My goal is to give you the best advice i can, I hope to be helpful, if you have any doubt or want to know anything else please do not hesitate to reply back.
Kind regards, Sebastian.