sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I have a BMW 1-Series 2019 m sport I have a cigarette

Customer Question

Hi there i have a BMW 1-Series 2019 m sport I have a cigarette lighter usb charger plugged into the socket but it doesn’t switch off when the car is off? If I left it on while the car is off does it drain the battery? Confused thank you
Category: BMW
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 10 days ago.

fHello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.

Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 9 days ago.

Sorry for the delay dear customer.

Indeed this little current thief can get the battery flat.

But once the car is totally off, it shouldn't keep on, unless a parasitic current is there.

Have this been happening since the charger was fitted, Right?

I have to clarify that if it is just for a day for example and if the battery is kind of new, it is possible that it won't get flst, but in long term it will.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I’m not sure but the usb had a little blue light on it... and when I turn of my car the light stays on I’m jut curious if once I turn the car off does it sometimes stay on for like 10mins

Dear customer, the systems of the new BMWs are designed so that after a certain time the electrical systems do not work more to avoid discharging the battery, for example you can leave the USB charger connected for a few minutes and the electrical system should stop working by turning off the charger Indeed, if these chargers are left in use for more than one night, they can discharge the electric battery.

If even after a period of time the system does not turn off the light, I recommend you to check the fuses because it is likely that you have one burned or in a bad position, which causes the electrical system to not turn off.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi I’ve left it for a few mins and it’s still there not sure why annoying

Dear customer, verify that all the fuses are correct, especially those found under the dashboard that control the ignition system of the cigarette lighter, it is likely that it is not working correctly and therefore it does not turn off.

But in actually there are several electrical systems that are left working on the vehicle for a long period until the computer detects a low level of load and turns off the electrical systems. In other words, this has been a normal operation. But to rule out any failure in the electrical system check the fuses.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi there sorry 1 last thing I have like light scratches on my bmw black sapphire paint so I just bought the same colour spray paint online... could I just lightly spray over the scratches ?

I do not recommend it dear customer.
Because this sprays with the sun, it burns so it start changing the color of the paint and it can damage the old paint, if you want, share me a picture of the scratch to see if you can use one of the products I know.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
The scratches are like these not deep scratches it’s light scratches like a brush
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I’ve attached a picture
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
1
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
2
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 8 days ago.

Dear customer, the part that would be affected is very large if you want you can use the spray because the paint is already quite damaged, but the ideal would be to paint the entire boot.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi the body part shop managed to buff it all out which is good cost me around 50£
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 7 days ago.

I think it was good price and your car is now without the scratches.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Awesome is there anything you can add to the car to make a value go up

Dear customer, although there are some improvements you can do, like use high performance air intakes, better audio systems, high performance tires, alloys etc, sometimes it is more what you spent that what it is recognize at the time of sell it.

Keep it clean.
Have any minor dings or dents repaired to keep the paint in order.
Get the paperwork in order.
Have it serviced and keep track of the service history record.
Find anything that came with the car.
Pimp it up – properly with OEM parts.
All this help to keep the car value and even increase it.