Kevin
Kevin, BMW Technician
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at Kemsing motor company
84635724

I put a different coolant (brand g8) without adding water as

Hi, I put a different coolant (brand g8) without adding water as it was below the minimum level and I’m going to be doing a lot of driving this week, in my bmw 2013 520d series. Now I’m worried this will ruin the engine. Should I go to a mechanic to flush it?
JA: How many miles on the car? How has your mileage been lately?
Customer: 145k miles
JA: What is the model of your '13 BMW?
Customer: 520d
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no and haven’t tried yet
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I’ll be driving 207km today. I’m worried this can cause issues.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is***** am a vehicle master tech located in the UK and I will do my best to assist you. During this conversation, you will be given an automated offer for a phone call. You may accept or decline that offer. I don’t personally offer this service so if you take this another tech may call I’m sorry that you’re having trouble with your vehicle. Don’t worry though, we’ll be able to figure this out. Please understand that I do not know your knowledge or capabilities so I may need to ask questions to find out basic information to help solve your specific problem. My aim is to give you the best service possible and to help you. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to let me know. Sometimes it may take a moment for me to respond because I may have to look up information about your concern. I appreciate your patience and will provide responses as soon as possible. Can I first ask who I have the pleasure of speaking with today, please?

ok so if two different types of coolant were mixed it can cause issues longer term because it can cause a reaction between the two different types and cause blockages within the system also if you put coolant in that's undiluted it can also cause the antifreeze to not work effecting the running temperature of the engine. I would get the system flushed and refilled with the correct mix of one type of coolant. Please let me know if you have any further questions and thanks for choosing JustAnswer

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you Kevin! Is it something I should do immediately or can I get to my destination today and then do it? Also, can you recommend a garage in Derry (Northern Ireland) where I can do it?
It’s something that should be done sooner rather than later . Your trip should be ok to make
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Perfect! When I get to Derry then I’ll seek for a bmw garage.
No problem