Gavin Perry
Gavin Perry, BMW Mechanic
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
105804848

I’m locked out of E46 330ci convertible, it is dead locked,

Customer Question

I’m locked out of E46 330ci convertible, it is dead locked, key fob initially worked to open the boot, and would illuminate interior without opening doors. The car was stood for a long period without use, and has only had short journeys recently. Took key fob to Timpsons they checked them as both ok, but I am quite dubious about this..... can you offer any advice...? Regards.
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: I got it tested at Timpsons, I’ve tried charging it on an inductive phone charger, but whilst that illuminates when charging a phone, the key doesn’t illuminate it, so not sure that is working.
JA: What year is your Convertible?
Customer: 2002
JA: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: tried charging car battery, I have access to boot, tried to charge key on inductive charger, but don’t know if it is charging it. Timpsons checker said it is putting out a signal, but that was right next to the key.
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Just that the car has only had short, ie 3miles or less journeys since being stood for over two years, (I was unaware of keeping key charged, till it failed)
Category: BMW
Expert:  Gavin Perry replied 5 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** am here to assist you Today what happens when you try to use the blade on the key.

I would like more information with the information i have if you look on the image you can see the lock barrel on some models it has a plastic cover on it this will have to be removed then you can use the blade of the key to gain access to your vehicle via that lock due to the battery been flat the automatic window drop function will not work and that makes it a bit more difficult to open the door so take caution at that stage if you need me just get back to me regards Gavin.