Phillip H
Phillip H, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Vehicle Technician at Richmond Motor Services
108937146

My F10 M5 alarm is randomly going off. Google suggests could

Customer Question

Hi, my F10 M5 alarm is randomly going off. Google suggests could be faulty Bonet alarm sensor but I can't see it under the hood. Can you tell me where I should be looking. Thanks
JA: Have you tried locking and unlocking the driver's side door using the key itself?
Customer: Does using the key disable the alarm motion sensor and hood sensor?
JA: What year is your M5?
Customer: Its a 2012
JA: Are you fixing your M5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just want to stop the risk of the alarm going off in the middle of the night before I take it to local specialist to get it fixed.
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Nope I've outlined everything above
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi, any update on my question raised? Thanks
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Poor show here. Been hours and no reply
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 10 days ago.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Can you give me a timescale for how long I will need to wait. Thanks
Expert:  TetyanaP-admin replied 9 days ago.
My name is ***** ***** I’m a moderator for this topic! My goal is to help you get the best out of JustAnswer.
Experts are much more likely to answer your question quickly if they know the make, model, year of your vehicle, engine type and size, fuel type and registration plate number.
Please provide the information above to help Experts find a solution quicker.
Thank you for your help and patience,
Tetyana – Moderator
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Tanya,
If you read the text above you will see that I have confirmed the make, model and year of the car. I've been quite specific.I would expect this to be enough for a trained BMW specialist to answer my question.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Anybody there?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Another day waiting for a response. No reply? What is going on here
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
What is your response time average for motor related questions
Expert:  Phillip H replied 5 days ago.

Hiya

I suspect the Alarm Sensor for the bonnet is the same one that tells you when if the bonnet is open.  I would think it will be part of the bonnet catch assembley.  Look at the bonnet catch and you will probably see a Wiring Harness going to it as well as the release cable.

I don't think disconnecting it will acheive anything because it will see it as Open Circuit and as such register that the bonnet is open.

The best way forward is a Full Diagnostic Code Read to establish what code(s) if any are present and then a check through Live Data of all of the door switches to check their operation.

If a door switch is found to not be working through Live Data a check of the Wiring Harness would then also be necessary.  A continuity check from the sensor to the module to eliminate the wiring and a continuity check of the switch to eliminate t he switch.  Rectify as necessary depending on results.

Phillip