Kevin
Kevin, BMW Technician
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at Kemsing motor company
84635724

Losing water and engine overheats after 3 to 5 miles, The

Losing water and engine overheats after 3 to 5 miles
JA: What part of the car is the leak coming from? And are you sure it's water?
Customer: The rad display show half full after a few miles then overheats
JA: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: 318i 61plate
JA: What year is your 318i?
Customer: 1961
JA: Are you fixing your 318i yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: YP61LWD
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No that's about it thanks

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is***** am a vehicle master tech located in the UK and I will do my best to assist you. During this conversation, you will be given an automated offer for a phone call. You may accept or decline that offer. I don’t personally offer this service so if you take this another tech may call I’m sorry that you’re having trouble with your vehicle. Don’t worry though, we’ll be able to figure this out. Please understand that I do not know your knowledge or capabilities so I may need to ask questions to find out basic information to help solve your specific problem. My aim is to give you the best service possible and to help you. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to let me know. Sometimes it may take a moment for me to respond because I may have to look up information about your concern. I appreciate your patience and will provide responses as soon as possible. Can I first ask who I have the pleasure of speaking with today, please?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Roy Macneil

Hi Roy I hope you are doing well. I totally understand the frustration caused when your car starts to overheat and il do my best to help you get to the bottom of what's going on. Can you tell me is there any sign of where the coolant is going?

Ok with the limited information given so far it’s difficult to give an exact answer but here’s a general answer so I know you are taken care of. The first step here is to trace the location of the leak because all the time there is a loss of coolant the engine will overheat. There are a few common causes for the leak from the thermostat to the radiator and reservoir. Getting the system pressure tested would be the easiest way to narrow down and trace the cause

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
It's the head gasket that's gone can you give me an idea of the cost to fit a new head gasket
I’m sorry to hear you have head gasket issues as this unfortunately can be expensive. The average cost would be anywhere between £1200-£2000