sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

The oxygen sensor keeps setting off the engine light on 2

Customer Question

The oxygen sensor keeps setting off the engine light on 2 series had sensor replaced wires checked twice and ecu sent away for diagnostics and all comes back clear but always 2nd time I drive the car the warning lights on with same fault code - garage said can’t help and I can’t afford bmw garage right now after spending so much and getting nowhere car drives fine- fault first occurred day of mot and passed with no advisory’s
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: stays on
JA: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: bmw 2 series 1.6 sport 2012
JA: What year is your BMW?
Customer: 2012 august
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no garage well known and has been good has fixed sensor twice and recently sent ECU away but that came back after 2 weeks as no faults
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no car runs fine
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The problem started few hours after mot which it passed
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The waiting time keeps saying 8 minutes and I’ve paid for a month membership- is it just office hours service? Then ill stop waiting
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 10 days ago.

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No I’m not paying more I think this might be a mistake
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
What else do you need to know

Dear customer, the oxygen sensor is responsible for measuring the air-fuel mixture in the cylinders at the time of combustion when the error code concerning the oxygen sensor lights up, it is often not that the sensor is defective but that the sensor is detecting an erroneous mixture in the cylinders, this mixture must be estequeometrica osea equal quantity of fuel with equal quantity of air when to a difference in some of the two the sensor is activated and the error code indicates a rich mixture this speaking to you that there is an excess of fuels, if on the contrary it indicates a poor mixture this speaking to you what there is more air than fuel, according to the error code we have to verify making the limpiezas to the injection system or cleaning to the system of admission of air.