Robert
Robert, BMW Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I have bmw x5 e70 2007. Car starts ok but during drive gear

Customer Question

Hi. I have bmw x5 e70 2007. Car starts ok but during drive gear is changing to N
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes
JA: Are you fixing your X5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am not repairing myself. I havent try to repair because I don't know what needs to be repaired
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I need to check electric in bmw
Category: BMW
Expert:  TetyanaP-admin replied 11 days ago.
My name is ***** ***** I’m a moderator for this topic! My goal is to help you get the best out of JustAnswer.
Experts are much more likely to answer your question quickly if they know the make, model, year of your vehicle, engine type and size, fuel type and registration plate number.
Please provide the information above to help Experts find a solution quicker.
Thank you for your help and patience,
Tetyana – Moderator
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ita bmw x5 e70 YG57VKE automatic diesel
Expert:  Robert replied 11 days ago.

Hello im Rob. A UK Certified Motor Technician assisting you today..

There was a known common issue that caused that type of similiar problem where the transmission pressure required to run it would drop out and causes the clutch pack to disengage hence going into neutral..the issue was the mechtronic bridge seal degrading.this lives above the mectronic unit and the main housing for the transmission housing clutch packs..its quite an involved job and the seal kit is available...

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok thanks. Do you know aprox how much can cost repairing including parts and labour? Do you have any garage in Birmingham?
Expert:  Robert replied 11 days ago.

Ok.. You;d be better off seeking a BMW specialist in your area..if it was to be honest as some garages might shy away from such a job..you could likely get the mechatronic seal kit from ebay fairly reasonable..plus you need to factor in new transmission oil,service kit...plus labour you could be in the £400/£500 range typically..