Billy
Billy, Trainer/ Master Technician
Experience:  Trainer 18+ years - master tech. 20+ years, SAE member
30385560

2b63 code 2005 bmw 320i e90 i replaced timing chain kit, and

Customer Question

2b63 code 2005 bmw 320i e90 i replaced timing chain kit
JA: How many miles on the car? How responsive has your car been lately?
Customer: and cam sensor and exhause cam gear 209000km
JA: What is the model of your '05 BMW?
Customer: e90 n46b20 engine
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i checked everything wiring timing and sensor voltage
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: everything is ok but when i start the engine 2b63 code come
Category: BMW
Expert:  Billy replied 19 days ago.

Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and I will assist you with your inquiry. I understand that having car problems can be frustrating so please feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
If you get prompted for a Premium service or a phone call, please ignore that, cause I don't think it is needed at this point.
My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
hi billy
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
iv got 2005 bmw 32oi e90 n46b20 engine
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
i checked fault code it says 2b63
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
then i replced exhaust cam sensor.still come that code
Expert:  Billy replied 19 days ago.

This has sensor has three pins. Pins 1 and 3 should have battery voltage. Pin 1 being power and pin 2 ground.

You should make sure that the ground is good. Meaning that with the voltmeter set on volts, check between a known good ground and pin 3. You should get less than 0.5 volts with ignition on.

If the sensor was replaced, and you have good power and ground, and good continuity on the signal wire (pin 2) to the engine control module (DME), then you need to use a scope to check the wave form and the timing it's giving. I will get the details for that.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
after that i replaced timing chain kit and exhaust cam gear
Expert:  Billy replied 19 days ago.

Here are the details of the wave form mentioned:

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
i checked sensor voltage 12v and i checked ground
and i checked signal wire dme to sensor
all conne
Expert:  Billy replied 19 days ago.

OK. If your checks were confirmed, then next we need to check the waveform. This will tell us if the fault is caused by an electrical fault (signal dropping out), or mechanical (signal being offset).

One more thing to check (before getting to the DME, would be removing the upstream O2 sensor completely and test the engine. Because I have seen instances where a clogged catalytic converter can cause exhaust timing codes. It's not very common, but it happens. So removing the sensor, will allow the engine to breathe normally, if the 2B63 doesn't return, then we know we have a clogged catalytic converter.

If it does, there would be two more steps:

- check the DME for any software updates

- replace the DME.

PS: I presume that you are using an original BMW sensor. Because aftermarket sensors can cause this problem, they would have a lower voltage on the waveform.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
ok,thanks.ill check 02 sensors.and ill tell you,If sensors ok what do you think
Expert:  Billy replied 19 days ago.

By checking the O2 sensors, I mean removing the upstream sensor from the exhaust, to see if the problem goes away. Because the engine will be able to breathe. Meaning the catalytic converter is clogged.

Expert:  Billy replied 19 days ago.

After doing this, and if the fault persists, then disconnect the MAP sensor see if the 2B63 fault goes away, if it does, then we have faulty timing. But checking the wave form using a scope will also confirm this issue.

Expert:  Billy replied 19 days ago.

Having done all those, and if the problem persists, then you need to check if there's an updated software for the DME and apply it. If the problem persists, that only leaves the DME that will need replacement.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Ok.tomorrow ill check o2 sensors.thank you
Expert:  Billy replied 19 days ago.

Thank you for your trust. Cheers.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
i checked timing.its good
Expert:  Billy replied 19 days ago.

I understand, but what I'm saying is that the exhaust timing can be affected by a clogged catalytic converter. This is rare, but can happen, and we need to check accordingly.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
thanks
Expert:  Billy replied 19 days ago.

You're welcome.