Casey Atwood
Casey Atwood, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Expert
110262156

I accelerated in sports mode with my BMW 520d and now the

I accelerated in sports mode with my BMW 520d and now the engine bay smokes and got oil dripping from exhaust
JA: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?
Customer: I bought the car 8 month ago. It has a fill service history but the engine is not driveable now I need to figure out what to do
JA: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: 2015 / 520d 2 liter diesel
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no I am not fixing it. I need to make a decision whether to fit a new engine for 4k pounds or whether I have other options
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: well, these 520d engines are known to have problems. I need to talk to someone who has experience with them

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. I am here to look into your question today so please feel free to ask me anything required in order to get your problem resolved! We all understand it can be annoying when your auto is not operating as expected but not to worry I will do my upmost to help get it sorted. I am just looking at the information you have provided now so just bare with me for a few moments please.

Thank you for your patience regarding your 520d I can see now that you're having difficulty with oil dripping from the exhaust, Understandably that is a frustrating issue to have but I have a few things that you can check in hopes that you can get it running again;

• remove turbo to intercooler pipe 
  • check for evidence of excessive oil build-up
  • if that is the case you will have to replace the turbo 
  • then clear out the system and retest.

It has been a pleasure to help you today, is there anything further I can assist with? Thanks for choosing Just Answer I hope you have a great day.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
you think its related to the turbo, and not the engine block itself? I guess, I need to find a local garage that can diagnose this. I'm not working on this myself. I was more looking for guidance on what to do since once I get the car recovered, I am kind of at the mercy of whoever looks at it. They can tell me anything really. I mean this type of 'blown' engine must happen quite frequently- I can hardly see how I'm the first one. There must a component that blows most frequenly. Just trying to figure out whether to take a chance on a local garage or main dealer. Thanks.

I would recommend going to a BMW specialist, and yeah with the symptoms that you have mentioned I would expect the turbo to let go. I have seen it a few times on that particular model. I would also recommend getting the timing looked at as they are also very common for failure just to keep up with maintenance. it is good that you do have full-service history since with regular service to these particular models oil dilution and component failure is very common, unfortunately. So with regular servicing and general maintenance, you can extend the lift quite dramatically.