sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

Steering stiff on Yamaha outboard I have topped up fuid but

Customer Question

steering stiff on Yamaha outboard I have topped up fuid but its still stiiff could the oil need changing altogether as its around 8 years old
JA: Do you know the model of your Yamaha appliance?
Customer: I have a100HP engine
JA: When did you last clean or perform maintenance on your Yamaha engine?
Customer: its been fine but only think is may be the fluid that is in the drive is not good we topped it up but perhaps t needs draining and replacing ?
JA: How long has this been going on with your Yamaha engine? What have you tried so far?
Customer: 2 years last year the local engineer topped up the fund this year he thought it was OK as he can turn the engine when its out of the water with one finer but when your afloat your almost having to drag the steering wheel round at 8 knots it was never like this from new
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: thats all
Category: Boat
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 16 days ago.

Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 16 days ago.

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.

Dear customer, indeed is necessary to replace the entire fluid!
It is worrying that you have so many years without ever having completely replaced the oil, I am worried that nothing has been damaged with the steering system.
Please asap replace the oil completely andntry not to use the engine for the moment until you do it.