Yachtwork
Yachtwork, Marine Engineer
Experience:  MEC3 and RYA Yachtmaster Ocean
10951514

I have a jabsco 23610 - 3003 12v bilge pump - it sometimes

i have a jabsco 23610 - 3003 12v bilge pump - it sometimes wont suck.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Took the end plate off , removed impeller - seems ok - replaced o ring , primed with water , yet it wont draw, consistently. Is the impellor in need of replacemnt/ Thanks.
JA: Is there anything else the Boat Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not really thanks - its worked well for many years and I haven't run it dry .Now its a problem.

Hello, welcome. Who do I have the pleasure of speaking to? My name is***** am here to help. I have been in the marine industry for 25+ years and have been a licensed Marine Engineer since 2009. I like to think outside the box and was part of the team that set the UIM Round The World Speedboat Record. I would like to be your requested tech when you have boat issues. I will be happy to help you.

I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get you back on the water quickly.

Are you at the boat now?

Let me look up your pump and see what's going on. Stand by a moment.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I’m on board

Ok, you have a Max Puppy. If that pump is not picking up a prime then check

1. Is the inlet open and clear at the suction end in the bilge?
  2. check that the hose does not have any air leaks

If the above is normal then we need to put a new impeller into the pump. They are cheap and easy to change. 

How does that sound?

I did my best to answer with the information I had. I hope it helped with the project.

You might want to mark me as a favorite Expert and then on your next question you can request me and we can pick up where we left off.

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish. My name is ***** ***** I go by Yachtwork, Marine Engineer on the site.

Scott