Yachtwork
Yachtwork, Marine Engineer
Experience:  MEC3 and RYA Yachtmaster Ocean
10951514

I have damaged the mainsail halyard and will need to replace

I have damaged the mainsail halyard and will need to replace it.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: What size and Length of halyard do I need for a westerly falcon. A recommendation on a supplier would also be appreciated.
JA: Is there anything else the Boat Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No I think that’s all. My address is In Northern Ireland, County Down.

Hello, welcome. Who do I have the pleasure of speaking to? My name is***** am here to help. I have been in the marine industry for 25+ years and have been a licensed Marine Engineer since 2009. I like to think outside the box and was part of the team that set the UIM Round The World Speedboat Record. I would like to be your requested tech when you have boat issues. I will be happy to help you.

I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get you back on the water quickly.

Are you at the boat now?

Let me see what I can find for your boat. We might have to mesure and I can walk you through that. But let me see what I can find.

How does that sound?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not on boat now. I can measure if required tomorrow.

Yes, what we want to do is run a tape up the jib halyard and get the length of the mast run. Be sure that the jib goes to the top of the mast more or less. Then we need the diameter of the line. Then we can make a decision on what line material we would like. Dacron or Dyneema or whatver we decide on.

How does that sound?

Often on small boats we just go straight to Dyneema because it's so strong and nonstretch and for small lengths and diameters it's pretty cheap.

How does that sound?

I did my best to answer with the information I had. I hope it helped with the project.

You might want to mark me as a favorite Expert and then on your next question you can request me and we can pick up where we left off.

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish. My name is ***** ***** I go by Yachtwork, Marine Engineer on the site.

Scott

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok with that. I will do the measurements later and respond. Don Campbell

Thank you, ***** ***** safe out there.