Yachtwork
Yachtwork, Marine Engineer
Experience:  MEC3 and RYA Yachtmaster Ocean
10951514

I have a Merry Fisher 655 Marlin with a Nanni inboard,

Customer Question

I have a Merry Fisher 655 Marlin with a Nanni inboard, recently had a problem with a air blockage which made engine overheat, luckily hadn't gone anywhere so when cool enough checked impeller etc, all good but now have a dry squeal when she stops and prop is slowing down for the last couple of rotations?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Boat Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: i don't think so
Category: Boat
Expert:  Yachtwork replied 14 days ago.

Hello, welcome. Who do I have the pleasure of speaking to? My name is***** am here to help. I have been in the marine industry for 25+ years and have been a licensed Marine Engineer since 2009. I like to think outside the box and was part of the team that set the UIM Round The World Speedboat Record. I would like to be your requested tech when you have boat issues. I will be happy to help you.

I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get you back on the water quickly.

Expert:  Yachtwork replied 14 days ago.

Are you at the boat now?

Expert:  Yachtwork replied 14 days ago.

The last bit of the dry squeal often happens when the engine is shutting down and it has a half-back spin as it comes to a stop. Could that be what is happening?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** at the boat now and unfortunately know very little about engines, but only noticed the problem since overheating
Expert:  Yachtwork replied 14 days ago.

That could also be the new impeller on the backspin, or the fanbelt might have gotten hot and hardened a bit and thus wants to be changed. That part does not sound serious yet. If you want you can video the sound and post it to youtube then post the link here and I can be more specific. Most times after an overheating if things go wrong it's more overheating or blowing smoke from glazed cylinder walls. Things like that.

Can you tell me more about the prop slowing down?

Expert:  Yachtwork replied 14 days ago.

Here is another trick to try and locate the sound. Use a piece of cardboard or something like that and hold it over parts of the engine during the shutdown and squeal. If we block the sound then take note of where the cardboard was and we can then cut the cardboard down a bit and try again. In this way we'll zero in on the location of the sound then we can make a better determination if we need to address the issue.

Expert:  Yachtwork replied 14 days ago.

How does that sound?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
When looking into engine compartment you can see a short bit of the prop shaft from the gearbox? It seems to come from here
Expert:  Yachtwork replied 14 days ago.

Ok, that is the packing gland. That is getting far away from an overheat, but it still might be squeaking. Is that a dripless type packing or a flax type with the big nut that gets a bit of turning when the shaft drips?

Expert:  Yachtwork replied 13 days ago.

I did my best to answer with the information I had. I hope it helped with the project.

You might want to mark me as a favorite Expert and then on your next question you can request me and we can pick up where we left off.

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish. My name is ***** ***** I go byCustomer Marine Engineer on the site.

Scott