Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a Simrad TP32 tiller pilot. The free rotation of the

Customer Question

I have a Simrad TP32 tiller pilot. The free rotation of the connecting shaft to the tiller has been lost - it feels solid. This makes it difficult to align the unit correctly with the tiller pin. Any ideas?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I have removed the cover and there is a brass collar half way along the unit that seems to join the tiller connector to the drive screw. This may be a recirculating ball unit.
JA: Is there anything else the Boat Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I also have a replacement drive belt. Original failure was unit shed its drive belt.
Category: Boat
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 6 days ago.

Dear customer my name is***** the expert who will attend you today, I am reviewing your query at the moment you are viewing this message, if you wish you can tell me your name, to know who I have the pleasure to talk to, also if possible I would like you to send me a photo or video in which your fault is better appreciated, it would help a lot to improve my final answer. If you have done a previous check or diagnosis in which you have obtained any error codes, that would also be helpful. Please note that the system will automatically offer you a service call, this has an additional cost to the initial cost of the consultation, and not in all cases it is necessary, so I recommend you to dispense with the call for now, we can continue through this chat without any problem. Thank you very much for trusting in the just answer.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hello Jose. My name is Robert. Unit was working fine and then stopped working. It had shed the drive belt. But root problem I think is that there is no rotation in the tiller connector rod/piston). This can be seen in the picture. I think rotation should occur at the brass sleeve but does not. This may be a recirculation ball unit. When I rotate the drive gear the piston moves freely in and out but the shaft does not rotate. It needs to in order to allow the piston to be attached to the tiller pin. Pictures follow
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
File attached (M21PVGP)
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
File attached (P3GL26Z)
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
File attached (6T3Z512)

Dear customer, did you try to lubricate before aligning?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Routine lubrication
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Are you familiar with a recirculation ball unit?
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 5 days ago.

Dear customer, if I know it, could you send me a video of the procedure you are performing?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I have described the situation. I do not see has a video can help.

Dear customer, I will leave your question for another expert to deal with it, as I am not managing to see the files you have sent.

Expert:  TetyanaP-admin replied 5 days ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Tetyana-moderator
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Please cancel and refund me
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Please cancel and refund me.