Yachtwork
Yachtwork, Marine Engineer
Experience:  MEC3 and RYA Yachtmaster Ocean
10951514

Yesterday 7512D bowthrust overheated and thermal cut out

yesterday 7512D bowthrust overheated and thermal cut out activated. today still will not reset any ideas please
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: 7512D thermal trip activated yesterday, still has not reset any suggestions please
JA: Is there anything else the Boat Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: its 12 volts

Hello, welcome. Who do I have the pleasure of speaking to? My name is***** am here to help. I have been in the marine industry for 25+ years and have been a licensed Marine Engineer since 2009. I like to think outside the box and was part of the team that set the UIM Round The World Speedboat Record. I would like to be your requested tech when you have boat issues. I will be happy to help you.

I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get you back on the water quickly.

Are you at the boat now?

There are multiple circuit breakers and fuses in this system. What I suspect is the fuse that protects the power cable has blown. That fuse is separate from the bow thruster thermal breaker and is to protect the wires that feed the bow thruster. That fuse or breaker will be backed by the batteries. By ABYC the circuit protection has to be right at the batteries.

We have a few options now. One is to look around the batteries and on a path forward to the thruster for the breaker or fuse. Or we can take a multimeter to the thruster control box and check for voltage at the thruster. That will prove if we have battery voltage and if the fault is inside or outside the thruster.

How does that sound?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks checked both fuses.controller showing power but turns red when I try to start the thruster.Could it be the thermal break not resetting?

What happens is there are two circuits.

1. The control circuit
  2. the power circuit.

The lights are all from the control circuit. Then when the system sees a fault then it trips the error light. We kind of need to check with a multimeter. Do you have one of those around?

I just looked at the drawing and this model has a fuse in the control head. That could be the fault.

go here to page 26

https://vetus.com/cms/wp-content/uploads/020810.04-r03-2022-01-User-manual-BOW-PRO-Thrusters.pdf

That is about the least helpful manual ever but the drawing helps. That is the fuse to check.

Is that the fuse you checked?

If so then we need a multimeter.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Cancel the call please

Great. Did you get it working?

I don't know how to cancel the phone call on my end. I am just a guy in a shop that takes questions between job cards. Do you see how to chancel on your end?

I did not accept the phone call if that helps.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Cancel the call please
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Cancel all calls

I can try marking the question as complete. That might close the phone call part.

I did my best to answer with the information I had. I hope it helped with the project.

You might want to mark me as a favorite Expert and then on your next question you can request me and we can pick up where we left off.

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish. My name is ***** ***** I go byCustomer Marine Engineer on the site.

Scott

Lets see if that works.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks i have truied the fuse, a spare is supplies in the cover, it is still under warrantee so I will have to go back to the dealer, as it doesn't look like a simple answer. thankjs for your help
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
it is a 5amp and ok ,thanks
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** could just close the question as answered please, i am taking the boat to Middlewich main dealer to sort

.