Ray Atkinson
Ray Atkinson, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Inner-city high school substitute teacher. Degrees in mathemetics, accounting, and education. Years and years of tutoring.
29937297

Sketch the graph of the function using the graph sketching

Sketch the graph of the function using the graph sketching strategy.

f(x) = 8x + 13/
9 − 4x^2

Strategy as follows
1. Domain of f
2. Whether f is even, odd or neither
3. the x and y intercepts of f
4. the intervals on which f is positive or negative
5. the intervals of which f is increasing or decreasing and any stationary points, local maxima and local minima
6. the asymptotic behaviour of f

Need all steps of the strategy completing and a sketch of the graph if possible
1. The domain is going to be everywhere that the denominator is not zero. 9-4x²=0 --> 9=4x² --> x² = 9/4 --> x = ±3/2. There are vertical asymptotes at those points
2. It is neither even nor odd.
3. When x=0, f(x)=13/9.
Setting y=0, You need to find when 8x+13=0, so x=-13/8. Since this is not ±3/2, it is valid.
4. There is only one root as x=-13/8, so the graph is only going to cross once. Since f(0) is positive, that side of the graph is going to be positive. f(x0 and f(x>-13/8) is negative.
5. The first derivative of this is M=(32x²+104x+72)/(9-4x²)². Zero points are when 32x²+104x+72=0, which are -9/4 and -1 [I can go through the calculus if you need it]. This is where the graph flattens out. This gives 4 critical points at -9/4, -3/2, -1, and 3/2. Checking between them tells us how the graph is behaving.
Extremely negative numbers will give a positive result for M, so the graph is increasing to the left of -9/4. Looking at M(-2) we get a negative, so f(x) is decreasing from -9/4 to -3/2. Looking at M(-5/4), it is negative, so the graph is again decreasing after the asymptote. M(0)= 8/9, so the graph in increasing from -3/2 to 3/2. Looking at extreme positive, M stays positive, so the original graph increases as it heads off to the right.
This means that (-9/4, 4/9) and (-1, 1) are local extrema.
6. Since the degree of the denominator exceeds the numerator, the graph tends to 0 in both x directions.

This gives us all the information we need to make the graph.
I have uploaded it to this site. The scan is rotated 90° clockwise, so make sure you correct for it.

If you have any questions, let me know.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

With point 2 would you be able to show me your working out. Thanks

An odd function is one that -f(x) = f(-x) and an even function is one that f(-x)=f(x) and neither of those cases is true here.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

thanks for that :) for point 5 would you be able to go through the calculus please. Thanks

d/dx (8x+13)/(9-4x²) uses the quotient rule. (u/v)' = (vu'-uv') / v²
[(9-4x²)*(8x+13)' - (8x+13)*(9-4x²)'] / [(9-4x²)]²
[(9-4x²) * 8 - (8x+13) * -8x] / [(9-4x²)]²
72 - 32x² + 64x² + 104x / (9-4x²)²
(32x² + 104x + 72) / (9-4x²)²