How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 103910
Experience:  I have been a lawyer since 1985 and have been a professional on this site for 5 years.
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now

Dear sir/madam,I am a resident of the UK. My mother, 82

Customer Question

Dear sir/madam,

I am a resident of the UK. My mother, 82 years old, recently fell down and broke her hip and upper leg bone, resulted in putting a big piece in her leg, she also suffers from amnesia. I was in Canada recently and saw her doctor. He certified that my mother needs a close relevant of hers to live with and help.
I have a British passport.
1- Can I get a permanent visa to Canada for living with her?
2- If yes, which form I should fill in.
3- As it is an emergency case how soon I can get the visa,
4- And if I can get a work permission as well?
5- Where should I send my documents?
6- How much I should spend for getting the visa?

Thanks for help
F. Farshim (Mr)
My email:[email protected]
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

You cannot apply for permanent residency status on the grounds that your mother needs you.

You need grounds such as being a skilled worker, for example.

You can come to visit for up to 6 months and then can extend your stay further perhaps.

But you cannot work as a visitor.

It seems like the fastest and best route for you to take would be to get a temporary work permit.

You will need a job offer first.

The way it works isn't really that complicated.

What has to happen is this:

Your potential employer has to apply to the government for what is called a Labour Market Opinion (LMO). What this entails is the government reviewing the job market to ensure that there is a shortage of Canadians to fill your job. You cannot take a job away from a Canadian. So, you have to have a skill, or work experience, in an area where Canada needs workers and there aren't enough Canadians who have that skill or work experience.

If that's the case then the government will give the employer a positive LMO.

Then you can apply for the work permit.

You will need to prove your credentials and also need to undergo background, medical and criminal checks.

If all goes well you will get the permit.

Here's the webpage that has all the information you will need including the forms and information about the fees:

Let me know if you need any further clarification.