How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 13329
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now

My common law husband in canada died in a car accident in 2000.

Customer Question

My common law husband in canada died in a car accident in 2000. I did get the widows pension
. He also worked in England many years before he became a Canadian citizen. I have no idea where he worked in England and if common law is the same rules as we do in canada or if his ex wife as she was from England went over and claimed it as they were married over their and divorced in canada but I do have the benefit here and would like to still claim it but now it is 18 yrs later?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 3 years ago.
Hi thanks for your question. I am sorry for your loss. If I understand correctly you are asking if you have any claim to a pension in the UK because you rate partner worked here. Anyone who works here and pays national insurance contributions may be entitled to a pension but I am afraid that UK law does not recognise the concept of a common-law wife. At least if you mean common-law in the sense that you lived together as man and wife. I am sorry but you have no claim to any pension rights he may have. To claim against any state pension you would need to have been married.
Let me know if I can clarify at all or you have any supplemental questions