How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 103439
Experience:  I have been a lawyer since 1985 and have been a professional on this site for 5 years.
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now

My sons father recently died in Canada. He had a mirror Will

This answer was rated:

My sons father recently died in Canada. He had a mirror Will that left all his assets to his wife in the case of him dying first and was then on her death to be split between all their surviving children. His wife changed her will just before he died to leave everything to her children only, before my sons father died but was terminally ill. Does his children have any right of inheritence under Canadien BC law?
Do you know if they had a mutual Wills agreement?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I don't know this, how could I find out?

You would have to ask or get a lawyer to ask.

If they did not then she could do what she wanted with the Will.

But your son may have a right to some of his father's estate regardless of the Will.

The reason why is in BC a Court can essentially vary a Will if it is not fair to a spouse or child.

This is done pursuant to the Wills Variation Act.

And when the father's Will is probated (assuming there are assets in his name alone) your son must be given a copy of the Will and also a notice about the Act and what he can do.
Legal Ease and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you