How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 104028
Experience:  I have been a lawyer since 1985 and have been a professional on this site for 5 years.
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now

XXXXis a Norwegian Company who has gained

This answer was rated:

XXXX is a Norwegian Company who has gained a contract with Statoil. The company will send out a rigcrew who shall work shifts for Statoil from June till December this year on the rig West Hercules, owned by Seadrill. All members of the crew are Norwegian Citizens, and XXXXwill pay their wages. Do we need to apply for a visa or a work permit?

Are you saying the same crew will be here for all these months?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The rigcrew consist of 5 persons. 2-3 persons work together for a periode of max. 14 days,and then another crew will take over, meaning a usual offshore scedule.

Do the crews leave the country after the 14 days or are they just off for a couple of days break?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They leave the country and will return to Norway.

Then a work permit is not needed.

These crew members are not entering into our workforce. Rather they are working for a foreign company.

They are considered to be business visitors. You can read about business visitors here:
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


The website you mention says that we need to prove that we have enough money for our stay. What sort of proof do they mean?

As the employer is paying the crew and likely the accommodations and food etc then the crew can show money in the bank and the employer can provide a financial statement.
Legal Ease and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you