How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 103390
Experience:  I have been a lawyer since 1985 and have been a professional on this site for 5 years.
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now

There, I have a son in the uk with a criminal record.

This answer was rated:

Hello there,
I have a son in the uk with a criminal record. I would like him to come to canada for my wedding. I believe he would have problems at customs because of his record. What can we do to alleviate this situation?
Because of your son's criminal record at first he is considered to be inadmissible to Canada on the basis of criminality.But, after 5 years has passed since hid sentence as been completed it is sometimes possible to be deemed to have been rehabilitated when he reaches the border. However, there's no guarantee as it's up to the discretion of the immigration office.If you don't want him to take a chance at the border the most prudent thing to do is to apply for individual rehabilitation. If this application is successful you will no longer have to be concerned about him being turned away at the border.But, it takes over a year to get this processed.So, if you want him to come over before then it's sometimes possible to get what is called a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP). This is sometimes granted in cases like his.Here is a link to the information about the TRP application: is the link to the webpage that explains how rehabilitation works:
Legal Ease and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you