How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 103437
Experience:  I have been a lawyer since 1985 and have been a professional on this site for 5 years.
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now

I have been barred from the US years due to

Customer Question

Hello,I have been barred from the US for 5 years due to overstaying on my VISA and committing a crime out there. I currently have 3 years to go until I can go back.In the meantime my american girlfriend would like me to visit her in Canada for a small 10 day holiday in July, before anythingis booked can I assume I am allowed into Canada.I am a British Citizen who has been Barred from the US and would like to enter Canada on holiday.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.
No you cannot assume you are going to be allowed to enter Canada. If you have a criminal record then you are considered to be inadmissible to Canada. Because of your criminal record at first you were considered to be inadmissible to Canada on the basis of criminality.But, after 5 years has passed since your sentence as been completed it is sometimes possible to be deemed to have been rehabilitated when you reach the border. However, there's no guarantee as it's up to the discretion of the immigration office.If you don't want to take a chance at the border the most prudent thing to do is to apply for individual rehabilitation. If this application is successful you will no longer have to be concerned about being turned away at the border.But, it takes over a year to get this processed.So, if you want to come up to Canada then it's sometimes possible to get what is called a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP). Here is a link to the information about the TRP application: is the link to the webpage that explains how rehabilitation works: