How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 103913
Experience:  I have been a lawyer since 1985 and have been a professional on this site for 5 years.
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now

I lived in British Columbia Canada from 2008 - 2015. While I

This answer was rated:

I lived in British Columbia Canada from 2008 - 2015. While I was there I married a Canadian/British dual nationality citizen and we had a son in October 2013. I returned to the UK alone in December 2015. I have recently received legal documents from my estranged husband filing for divorce and seeking sole custody of our son. I agree to the divorce but I seek to gain custody of my son and bring him back to the UK. I need to respond to the papers served on me by early August. Therefore, I am looking for urgent legal advice. Can you please assist? Many thanks, ***** ***** 07491 639145

I can answer your questions and I can suggest how to find a lawyer in BC. I cannot do legal documentation or provide you with actual advice as only your own lawyer can do that. I cannot be your lawyer.

Do you want me to go ahead?

If so please let me know your specific question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you- my specific question is can I contest any or all of my claim for custody from the UK or will I have to return to BC? Also would I be entitled to legal aid (I have no source of income, and haven't since December). My husband knows this but is expecting me to pay his lawyer fees in return for sole custody. Can you suggest a suitable contact(s) who would be able to assist me- I lived in Kelowna, BC. Thank you. Amelia Duffin

You are not entitled to legal aid if you are not a resident of BC. If you can show that your are living in the UK temporarily that may work. It's not clear.

You may not have to return to BC because you can attend court by way of web of telephone conference.

I suggest you do contact legal aid and ask if you are eligible.

Also, you can contact the BC Branch of the Canadian Bar Association and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be $25.

The number is:

(###) ###-####or 1.***-***-****.

As well you can get some free help here:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - when you refer to legal aid above, are you specifically referring to Legal Aid in Canada? In other words, would I be entitled to any form of legal aid in the UK as I am not working? I presume I will only be able to pursue this using legal representatives from within BC? Thank you, Amelia

I don't know the law in the UK. You would have to contact legal aid there.

I am talking about legal aid in BC.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thanks again.

You are very welcome.

If we are done please rate me before you leave the site so that I can receive credit for my work.

Thanks and take good care.

Legal Ease and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you