Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I have been a lawyer since 1985 and have been a professional on this site for 5 years.
10263656

I had a Auntie who died in Montreal Canada in 2015, her son

I had a Auntie who died in Montreal Canada in 2015, her son informed that I was mentioned in her will but since her funeral I have had no contact from him despite attempts from me over the last 12 months , my question is how do I obtain a copy of her will ??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is her only son and there is a lot of money and estate involved as she was a wealthy woman.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry for your loss.

Do you know if your aunt had assets that were in her name alone?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont know

The first thing you can do is contact the court in Montreal and ask if there is a probate file.

If there is you can get a copy of all that is in the file including a copy of the Will. This is all a matter of public record and any one can get a copy.

If there were assets in your aunt's name alone the Will had to be probated.

If there is no file then your next step would be to retain a lawyer to send her son a letter demanding a copy of the Will, or at least the part that mentions you.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be $30.

Here is a link to their contact information:http://www.barreau.qc.ca/en/public/trouver/avocat/

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when you say contact the court in Montreal what court is it and do you have contact no

Call this number and then ask to speak to a clerk at the office in charge of Wills:

(###) ###-####/p>