Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I have been a lawyer since 1985 and have been a professional on this site for 5 years.
10263656

Can you help as to getting into canada at all? Assistant:

Customer Question

hello there Can you help as to getting into canada at all?
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: i am in the UK and i have been refused ETA entry due to a drink driving offence this year. i was wondering if i could fly to the USA and then travel in by car as it says you do not need an ETA to get into Cananda by car what are your thoughts
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: ive applied for ETA yes and been refused
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i have currently a ESTA to get into US thats valid till end of next year
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  ben.jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  ben.jones replied 1 year ago.

How long ago did the offence take place?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was june 2016
Expert:  ben.jones replied 1 year ago.

OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not responded to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Expert:  ben.jones replied 1 year ago.

I wil have to transfer this to our Canada Law section as they will be best laced to help you. No need to reply for now, someone will be in touch, thanks

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

I am a lawyer in Canada and I am happy to assist you.

Are you saying there was a conviction this year or just a charge so far?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive been convicted of drink driving, recieved a 28 day ban and small fine.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

You are not going to be considered admissible to Canada.

So it is not that you don't need the ETA, which you will not, but it is that you will be turned away at the border. Your criminal record makes you inadmissible no matter how you try to enter unfortunately.

The only way you could possibly be permitted to enter Canada is if you are able to obtain Temporary Resident Permit (TRP). This costs $200 and you can apply at the border or ahead of time and in your case it would clearly be best to apply ahead of time as you may find you flew to the US for no reason then.

Here is a link to the information about the TRP application:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/inadmissibility/permits.asp

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.