How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Senior Associate Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 10509
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I lend my car to a friend and and he bumped to a sign in

Customer Question

Hi, I lend my car to a friend and and he bumped to a sign in petrol station. I gave the detail of the driver to the petrol station but they still chasing me to pay for fixing of the sign and not contacting him!.
JA: What province are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Hampshire
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: by whom ?
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The petrol station has even a photo of the driver and he acknowledge to fix the sign but they still want me to pay for it
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

The only thing you can do is to repeat that you were not the driver and that they need to pursue your friend for the damage. If they decide to sue you, you will be able to defend the claim (and issue a counter claim against your friend). If they do sue then the court will send you a copy of the claim form and a response pack (I attach the response pack so you know what it looks like). It is important you complete and return the response pack as soon as the court sends it to you - if you do not then the claimant/petrol station owner can request default judgment (a CCJ) against you as you would not have replied or defended the claim.

The other thing to consider is contacting your friend's insurers (if they were insured to drive your car). You can find out who their insurer was at the time of the accident here:

I hope this answers your question - if you can please click 5 stars at the top of your screen, that will give me a rating on the site and I can answer any follow up questions at no extra charge.

Many thanks,


Expert:  JimLawyer replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon, if you can please click to accept the answer (5 stars at the top of your screen) and give me a rating on the site I would be very grateful. It won’t cost extra to give the rating.

Many thanks.