Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I have been a lawyer since 1985 and have been a professional on this site for 12 years.
10263656

Is the UK civil partnership considered marriage in Canada or

is the UK civil partnership considered marriage in Canada or a common law relationship?

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is***** will be working on your question today and I am looking forward to our conversation.

Please note that I am working from my computer and not actually texting. If you don’t answer back for a while I may not be online when you do but I will never desert you and will check back often. As well, as I am working from home it is possible that I will be interrupted but I will always return back as soon as I can.

Finally, although the site offers a call option I personally do not take calls but just work online. Some find this confusing as it looks like the offer is coming from me but that is just how the site presents the offer and it really isn’t coming from me. Some of the other experts do take calls and so you are very welcome to request a call on this post and an expert may take it. They will have the benefit of reading our exchange which should work out very well for everyone involved!

I know your question is important to you and I will be giving it the time and attention it deserves.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
thank you

If you did not obtain a marriage licence and have a wedding officiant perform a legal marriage in the UK then you are in a common law relationship and not in a legally married relationship as far as Canada is concerned.

Does that clarify the law and fully answer your question?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
what we did is we had a civil partnership ceremony and we have a civil partnership certificate. As you are aware marriage ceremony is different that civil partnership. So if I understood correctly our civil partnership will not be considered marriage in Canada ? so when filling legal forms im not considered married right but rather in common-in-law relationship is that correct ?

This is not a legal marriage in Canada. You are common law spouses in Canada.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
thank you so much for that. So you are absolutely sure right ? sorry I know its a weird question but because my civil partnership ceremony is tomorrow I need to make sure. thank you again

Yes I am absolutely sure.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I cannot thank you enough , thanks a lot for your time

You are very welcome.

Thank you for trusting us to help you here at JustAnswer.   If you need more clarification or have a follow-up question just reply and we can continue our dialogue. If you would like to ask me new questions please start a new post and if you do if you say “This is only for Debra” I will be sure to give your post top priority.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I had to double check with you because another solicitor on this website told me its considered a marriage in Canada form 2013, but im going to take your word for it

WelI I just checked your account and all the other lawyers an answered you are not in Canada.

If this is not a legal marriage in the UK it's not a legal marriage in Canada. So if you don't have to end it by getting a divorce in the UK then it's not a legal marriage in the UK or Canada or in most of the other countries or at least the ones that are a signatories to the Hague conventio

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
its confusing because they say legally in terms of our right is similar to marriage, but there is a different ceremony for marriage where we have to say our vows whereas in the civil partnership ceremony we have to sign a paper and what we get afterwards is a civil partnership certificate and not a marriage certificate. thats all I know.

Then it's not a legal marriage, anywhere.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I also just looked up civil partnership separation , it says we have to send paperwork to court to get permission to end it.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
great thank you so much
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
ok I just saw that it says civil partners cannot call themeless married for legal purposes

There you go!

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
you were absolutely right , thank you SO MUCH Debra

Anytime and congratulations!

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
thank youuuu