Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I have been a lawyer since 1985 and have been a professional on this site for 12 years.
10263656

I have problems with the university I have applied to.

Customer Question

Good evening. I have problems with the university I have applied to.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Bedford
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: No one
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 12 days ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is***** will be working on your question today and I am looking forward to our conversation.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I’m writing to you as I am desperate and my mental health is as down as it has ever been.
My name is***** and I am one of the students in Fairfield School of Business (Luton), in partnership with Bath Spa University. Or so, we the students, have been told. The reason I am writing to you is
because I have applied and been accepted by Fairfield School of Business and started my classes in
June 2022. I have attended all of my classes and my teachers can attest that I have been a good
student who is eager to learn. The problems have started when the staff from Fairfield have started
pulling students out of the classroom to complete their Bath Spa Enrolment. I was not on the first
list, but I was told not to worry as I was definitely going to be on the next one. One week later and all
of my classmates have completed their enrolment and I still have yet to receive my student ID from
Bath Spa, all this time I was being reassured by the Fairfield enrolment team that everything is
perfectly fine, I will get it by email in one, top two days. Two weeks later still nothing, in those two
weeks I was asking every day when I will be receiving it, and I was always told to come back
tomorrow. On the 25th of June, before the beginning of my class, when I asked them again about my
Bath Spa enrolment, I was told that I was not accepted by Bath Spa University as student, my heart
dropped. When I made more inquiries, I was told that I failed to finish my enrolment with Bath Spa
University, when I explained why, they told me they will investigate and it should be ok as they will
fix it, that I should keep on coming to classes, and they will let me know the next day. Next day came
and I was told they were going to appeal my case with yourselves as it was not my fault that I was
not enrolled. In the meantime, they kept offering me September courses in case it will not get
resolved. I refused them time and time again. I changed my entire life to be able to start classes in
June, I scheduled all my life and changed my workplace schedule so I can give it my all during classes.
On Wednesday the 27th I was being told that they will have the appeal the next day on the 28th and
things are looking promising. I kept asking them how this has happened and they kept avoiding my
questions, while some of the staff members where promising me that everything will be alright and I
should be submitting my first assessment, for me to receive a feedback on it from my teacher, other
people from the staff kept bulling me into accepting the September courses. While all of this was
going on I kept asking the same question? Why me? They finally told me that when they have
submitted my paperwork to Bath Spa University, due to ‘’a glitch in the system’’, they have not
received my files, but not to worry, as they will speak with yourselves and get myself back enrolled. I
was told that I will receive a phone call with more official information about that, I was told I will be
getting an official meeting with the Dean of the Fairfield School of Business, none of those came.
With anxiety running high, not being able to sleep, feeling like an outsider at classes, as everyone
else already found out, I felt like I did not belong there, with the Fairfield staff giving me ugly looks
just because I did not accept their other option, I felt like I did something wrong, when I had no
blame. On Thursday (28/07/2022), I had no official information regarding the appeal, I was told to
wait until the next week. On Monday 01/08/2022 I went back to my classes and that’s when I was
officially informed that I am no longer a student there and that Bath Spa University has refused to
enrol me so late. And then they proceeded into telling me how they will make sure I will be enrolled
in the September classes with no issues. And that I can still attend classes if I wanted to. When I
asked for an official letter from the Admission Officer with the reason I was not accepted, they
changed their way of talking to me and I was told that I have to leave the building as I am no longer
their student and that I should be receiving official information in two days. I need to say that for all
the statements made above I have witnesses. With tears in my eyes I had to wait outside for my
colleagues to ask permission from their teacher to leave as we where traveling together. I live in
Bedford, my workplace is in Wootton, I travelled from Monday to Thursday, every day, from Bedford
to Wootton for work then I go back to Bedford to come to Luton.

I'm really sorry to hear all this but I just realize that looks like you are not in Canada. Is there any connection with Canada?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No, i am in UK
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Here it says: just answer UK citizen. what does Canada have to do with it?

I don't know but your question was placed on the Canadian legal list. Can you please start a new post on the UK law list?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok...thank you!
I hope it works out.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I see now. I wrote the city thinking it was for the UK only. Thank you for your help! I wish you a pleasant evening!

You too!

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 10 days ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with before I mark this question as complete?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No, thank you for the intention. Anyway, no one can help me, I reposted the question and was told that it is between me and the university. Which is not true. There was something illegal there but that's it..Thank you!

I actually have an answer to that. Thank you for your patience.

Here is the answer to your query. Please do not hesitate to ask any follow up questions related to this response and know that I will respond as soon as I can.

It very well may be between you and the university which would mean that you would sue them. But on top of that the university has a regulatory body and you can absolutely file complaint with that regulatory body.

Do you see what I mean I mean?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I asked to speak with the dean of the faculty 3 times and they said yes as many times. But nothing happened. These Fairfield employees are all Indians, all brothers, all friends. Today, for example, I was supposed to receive an official letter in which they explained to me the reason why I was not accepted. Or rather given out. But that didn't happen. I'm not from England, I don't speak English at a high level, I don't know the laws and that's why I wanted a lawyer to help me know for sure what I have to do. You understand me?

Do you understand too but I think you need a lawyer in the UK so you should start another question on the UK law list or you should see a local lawyer in the UK.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you for your time!

You are very welcome.

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favourite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish, again my name is Debra.

Thank you very much and best wishes.