Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

Peugeot/Citroen? The cd player in my Peugeot 306 will not

Customer Question

Peugeot/Citroen? The cd player in my Peugeot 306 will not play when the engine is running. It is ok when stationary and engine off.
Assistant: Have you checked the fuse?
Customer: Yes
Assistant: What year is your 307?
Customer: If the fuse was gone it would not work any time
Assistant: Are you fixing your 307 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It's a 306 not 307 year is 2001.
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only that I have tried every internet search possible and found that lots of people have this problem but no-one has given a solution. I will be very impressed (and tell all my friends) if he is the first.
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.

Hi Tom,

Is it the factory-fitted CD player, or an aftermarket model?

How long has it been acting up like this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Car is a 306 with factory fitted CD player. The car was not bought new and has had this problem since I bought it , about two years ago. Some internet replies have suggested it is the effect of engine vibration (I don't know if it affects petrol cars, mine is diesel) but I doubt this because when the disc is ejected I have sometimes repeatedly replaced it with the engine still running. Sometimes after even as many as 10 eject/replace cycles it will eventually play. When it does it will continue to play until the next time the engine is switched off and restarted.
Searching the internet tells me that many other owners have the same problem (I also had it with my previous car, also a 306).
No solutions have been posted after many years of asking so I am tempted to think that your questions are 'clutching at straws'. I will however wait a little longer before requesting my refund if/when you fail. Good luck!
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I would think that a loose cable getting disconnected intermittently by vibration is highly likely the cause here.
You could remove the radio and test it on a bench to see if it works ok there - this would confirm that the problem is within the car's wiring loom.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot see how this would prove anything since, as my last reply told you, even with the car running with both engine and road vibrations, once the CD has started playing (after numerous eject /reinsert cycles it will run completely normally until the engine has to be restarted. Then it goes back to the pattern of 'no play, eject, revert to radio play'. If the CD has been ejected and not run since, the display will be 'T01 --:--'. If the engine is switched off when the disc is running but is not ejected, when starting engine again the display will be 'frozen' at whatever track and whatever point it stopped.
The whole fault condition however is intermittent. I.e. it does not always happen. In order to check that I was giving you the correct information about the display, I just went out to the car to check. This time, at first it played perfectly with or without engine but after a couple more attempts the familiar fault recurred. When it is failing to run and showing T01 --:-- it has not even noted the number of tracks on the CD. Normally it can be scanned forward or back to any track but if it is showing --:-- it will forward all the way to T99 or will reverse to that from T01.
I hope all that is clear enough as you now have as much information as I think I can give you and to repeat my earlier message all of these symptoms are the same as happened with a former car of the same type and year which I previously owned.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Second line of the previous message should close brackets after 'eject/reinsertcycles', but there is no opportunity to edit before send. I hope the meaning is clear.
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.

I suspect an intermittent fault in the wiring loom; possibly a bare wire is touching against the earth somewhere intermittently and shorting out.

If the radio runs fine on a bench then you will know that the radio itself is ok and the problem is within the car's wiring, with the shorting being caused intermittently though the car's vibrations.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems you did not read or understand ALL the information in my last reply. Once the player has started, after numerous eject/reinsert cycles, it runs perfectly with just engine running AND when driving. It even continued perfectly when on a particularly rough road, at one point with a bump sufficient to cause the play head to 'jump' but revert immediately to correct playing. I agree that it is probably something to do with the car electrical system but that is not my area of expertise and that is why I'm asking. Nothing you have said so far gives any explanation as to why this has happened to me with two different cars, nor why it has happened to numerous other owners who have posted questions on other web sites. Also if a bare wire touches earth at any time a properly protected system should blow a fuse. All fitted fuses are of the correct value.
Perhaps just one more go then you give up, admit failure and I claim my deposit refund.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is ok, I just need an answer but please just make sure any new technician has knowledge of ALL the correspondence with 'Pete' that has gone on so far. It is ALL relevant and I would not want to have to go over it all again.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Although I'm disappointed, I must say I am not totally surprised. As I said at the start I know many people have had this same problem and it has been going on for a very long time. It is almost unbelievable but is nonetheless true. I think it is time to close the question. Please give me instruction to claim my deposit refund. I will also close my trial membership before the 7-day period.