Phillip H
Phillip H, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Vehicle Technician at Richmond Motor Services
108937146

Are car parts numbered and registered to specific cars? As

Are car parts numbered and registered to specific cars? As in , is it possible to track a gear box to an original car if it is a replacement?

Hi my name is ***** ***** am here to assist you Today a gearbox will have a code related to the engine what is the vehicle we are discussing.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Gavin , thanks for trying to help. I bought a second hand car a couple of years ago (Chrysler voyager- they stopped making them , so I have no choice but to buy second hand now) . It seemed a great car, but within days it developed a problem. After a good deal of arguing the garage agreed to either try and resolve it or refund my money . (The car had done 63,000 miles ) . They said it was a gearbox problem and that they would replace the gearbox. They said they had sourced one which had done 43,000 miles and that they would fit this. I agreed, but asked for proof of mileage / last car details etc. None were given nor provided . After asking on a number of occasions I gave up. I had the car for a few months , when another problem developed, which turned out to be a cog braking off in the gears and resulted in me having to rebuild the gearbox at the cost of £3500. (At a transmission specialist, not the original garage ) . Shortly after having it back it seemed to develop what I thought was a fuel issue ?, it started to almost stall if I came to a stop after each long journey, & on occasion did stall , but would re-start again. However the last time it took ages to start and I ended up taking back to my local garage who look after it. I left it with them saying ‘just sort it out!?’.. they drove it for a few days and the conclusion is they believe it to be a gearbox / transmission problem . The frustrating point is that due to Covid I have hardly used it, and it had a 12 month warranty on the re-Build . But because no one suggested another transmission issue, that warranty has now expired, and I am left with a car I daren’t drive. If I could prove that the original garage put a gearbox in that was older than they claimed (which I now suspect could be the issue possibly?) they obviously I would have a claim against them ? But how do I prove the age / original vehicle and possibly track any service history / mot mileage etc ?

Due to time reasons I will have to opt out and let another expert take over regards Gavin.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Alina - Moderator
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I’m happy to wait

Hiya

The Transmission Assy will have a number on it rather like an Engine Number.  I don't believe however that Gearbox numbers are registered like Engine Numbers other than with the Manufacturer of the Vehicle.  It will be near impossible to trace the origins of the Gearbox.

I wouldn't entertain replacing a Gearbox with a second hand unit as you have no idea where it has come from or what it's history is.  You are much better off having your original gearbox rebuilt at a reputable repairer.

Phillip

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you Phillip , what a shame

HIya

No problem at all.

Phillip

Phillip H, Auto Mechanic
Experience: Vehicle Technician at Richmond Motor Services