Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

We have a second home for weekends and holidays. For convenience,

Customer Question

We have a second home for weekends and holidays. For convenience, we keep a car at this address in a private, but unsecured, car park which belongs to the property. Because we are not at this address full time we are having difficulty getting anyone to insure it - and the only people who will so far are charging more than twice the amount if this was our full time address. I am sure there must be a number of people in the same situation. Any ideas on what legal options we have to bring the premiums down?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.

I'd 1st suggest getting in touch with the specialist insurance brokers such as

if they can't help then you could consider getting the one of your holiday home neighbours put onto your insurance as a named driver and use their address as the car 's resident

if you have a good relationship with such a person of course