Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.

I have a 2.5TDC discovery(NNN) NNN-NNNNAutomatic all was ok until

I have a 2.5TDC discovery(NNN) NNN-NNNNAutomatic all was ok until I put car in reverse then the car would not engage in drive I moved the transfer box lever into dif lock and have drive but when I disengage the diff lock thers no drive all was ok until then
Hi,my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you with your question.
How does the fluid look?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Yes the fluid levels are all ok

What did get before this was a loud clunking knocking noise from the front offside wheel area when the car was turning

Could this have any thing to do with it like I said if I put it in diff lock it drives It loses drive when out of diff lock

when you engage drive the engine does slow slightly like it s engaged

From what you are describing the right side locking hub pin has failed which was fairly common on these models. The locking hub has to be replaced to correct this issue.