How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mike Your Own Question
Mike, Technician
Category: Car
Satisfied Customers: 39198
Experience:  Tech Expert
Type Your Car Question Here...
Mike is online now

I have a 2009 VW Passat. It's TDI 105bhp. It's developed

This answer was rated:

I have a 2009 VW Passat. It's TDI 105bhp. It's developed this knocking that comes from the front right. Happens down by the door and you can feel it coming up through the pedals. It's a single knock and normally happens when I'm pulling away, turning right mostly but sometimes when turning left. Rarely happens when I brake hard. Any idea, I must add I recently had the car serviced and had a full check over carried out and nothing was obvious. My mechanic said the car seemed fine.
Hello and Welcome -
My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise.
With this sort of fault please bear in mind that I cannot say it will be this / that - as it really could be any one of several things so with cases like this we have to offer suggestions as to what to check - and that is based on known issues that a certain type of vehicle has.
As you say - noises on cars "travel" it can be hard to tie them down when driving -
Now with this model - its a common fault to have worn Anti Roll bar bushes.. Garages tend to check the ones on the ends of the bar - both sides - but its not those. The ones I refer to are the "U" ones that wrap around the bar - fastened by "U" clamps - holding the bar to the body. These can be checked for play using a bar but they are not expensive to change - Given the age of the car, I would recommend having them changed - both sides. These are very common to give such a knock noise.
Other than that are the "link rods" -- these are on both sides of the cars suspension - under the wings. They have small ball joints that will cause this type of knock. Its hard to get them to do it by hand - because you dont get the same pressure.. but they should be checked - and replaced if not sure either way.
Other than a worn bush in the suspension - and these have several on the front wish bones, it will be one or the other as above... ( Im assuming they have checked the engine / trans mounts already etc ).. so those things ruled out - you should find it as above.
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
~~~>>>>>>~ Meanwhile - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. Thank you in advance for that . ..
Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out -
- Best Rgds, MIKE.
Mike and other Car Specialists are ready to help you