Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

Fiat 500 duologic 5 years old. Often will not go into gear

hi, fiat 500 duologic 5 years old. Often will not go into gear at all or jumps out of gear and sometimes goes just into 2nd and stays there.
Any thoughts

something of an odd tip but the Automatic box's work with the Rear Brake lights

So try giveing the rear light clusters pins a good clean with some abrasive paper and spray them with a contact cleaner - and spray the plug too

If that doesn't help then its a case of checking the gearbox oil level, performing a clutch point retrain ( fiat software required for this) , try cleaning the sensors and a cpu reset

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiThanks. I assumed the last things but wanted to confirm before visiting garage. Will also look into the brake lights - would never have assumed that!!!!

let me know how you get on and get back to me on this post