How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Matt Your Own Question
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Category: Car
Satisfied Customers: 22897
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
Type Your Car Question Here...
Matt is online now

My 2005 Passat sounds like it is sucking in a lot of air

This answer was rated:

My 2005 Passat sounds like it is sucking in a lot of air when I accelerate. The square hose that comes from behind the dashboard and goes down to the engine is corrugate and appears to have splits in the tubing. Can you tell me if this the problem and the name of the part I need?

if you look at the attached image and the corrugated hose that runs between the airbox and the engine (marked in yellow ) this must seal as its downstream of the MAF sensor which measures the amount of air being drawn in

so if it has splits in it then it needs replacing - if you ask for the intake pipe thats between the airbox and engine you'll get what you need

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is not the hose I refer to. It is a square rectangular hose going down the back of th engine?


is that hose visible on teh image I posted? how big is this hose?

Matt and other Car Specialists are ready to help you