Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician at Motorama City Holden

My 2003 G.C 2.7 crd has snapped the steering tie rods in the

My 2003 G.C 2.7 crd has snapped the steering tie rods in the last 4 months. 1st to go was the upper near side tie rod end. I replaced that and both the lower rod ends at the same time. Had it all tracked. 2monthe later, the rod end on the draglink ( steering box end ) snapped. Now yesterday, the upper nearside has snapped again. They always seem to go at the bottom of the taper. Any haelp appreciated.
Assistant: Have you checked the fluids?
Customer: Yes. power steering fluid full. and pumps works fine.
Assistant: What is the model of your '03 Jeep?
Customer: Grand Cherokee 2.7 CRD WJ
Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Currently in my local garage putting on a new end and tracking. They are advising me to speak to Jeep dealer, as they wont get any infomation from them. Seems any technical advice is a secret.
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Any known history with this fault.

Hello there,

Is the suspension modified in any way?

Aftermarket or factory wheels and tyres?

How much off road driving do you do?

Rod ends don't usually snap.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Standard vehicle. No off roading. Once a month tow a boat weighs about 2000kg

What does Jeep say about this?

Do you have more than one driver?

I have not heard of this happening with any vehicle in my 36 mechanic years.

Sharp impacts or joint overextension would be the reason.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I`m the only driver, I do about 1200 miles a month. I am still waiting for my Jeep main dealer to call me back. I did hit a curd, which blow the tyre, but that was 3 weeks ago. Also the first time this happened, I had the car about 14 months, with only Normal road driving and no accidents. The 3 times this has happened it has always broken while just moving off, out of my drive or a parking bay and on starting to turn it snaps. Not even half a turn on the steering wheel. I have had no modifications to the steering or the steering box. Something is overloading the connecting rod from the steering box to the upright. I changed the lower tie rod ends as a precaution, but so far its the upper ones that break.

I would keep hounding the Jeep dealer.

I would class this as completely unusual, and if you using Jeep replacement parts, they need to know about this.

This a very SERIOUS issue, they need to inspect your car for why this is happening.

I have searched on the net, and this does happen to the young guys who modify cars.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok thank you. I have booked it into a dealer on Thursday. They are baffled as well. I think something is making the joints work harden, they are going to check the parts and alignments. Thanks for your help, at least you have convinced me it is not a known fault.
Cheers Gary

Ok, take it easy for now.

Good luck for Thursday.

Maybe it has longer travel shocks than it should have.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Will get them to check that out, but pretty sure everything is standard. No lifts or tweaks.
Thanks again.

I would hope they have an engineer from Jeep there to look at it.

Hopefully the service manager realises the issue this is.

All the best.