Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Citroen Berlingo 1600 diesel turbo, total loss of power,

Citroen Berlingo 1600 diesel turbo, total loss of power, although engine started but cut out when trying to pull away, now even after fitting new EGR valve it's started losing power again after about 20 miles, it had a full service 3 weeks ago including oil, filters, and flushing out etc, I cant continue spending over £300 every time unless I know what's causing the problem.

hello

do you have any fault lights on? If so then I'd suggest the 1st thing is to plug in a scan tool to pull off the fault code and point to the issue

I'd also check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly

If its a variable vane turbo (they’ll be an actuator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate) then check its vacuum pipework as above and check the connections to the diaphragm / solenoid valve

Also worth checking that the glow-plug relay is switching off as they can stick on and leave the glow plugs also on - on some cars this can force it into limp home

Also worth considering adding a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank as a clogged injector nozzle will reduce power and give poor combustion - the next stage on from this is to remove all the injectors and have them ultrasonically cleaned and flow checked