Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Went to open my MGTF with my key fob but it will not open

Hi there,
Went to open my MGTF with my key fob but it will not open the door. Thought the key fob battery was at fault so replaced it with the correct battery. Still will not work. If I use the key to open door the alarm will go off and I have no way to silence it other than disconnect the horns but the lights will still go on and off.
Please can anyone offer a solution?
Ray

Hello Ray

try this:

1. Open the key fob
  2. Remove the battery
  3. Press any button 10 ten times, and the same with the other button
  4. Refit the battery or a new battery
  5. Unlock the vehicle with the key in the drivers door lock, do not open the door
  6. Press the right hand button lock button (the button with the padlock symbol or the dimpled button) on the key fob 4 to 8 times

The MGF MGTF Immobiliser system is very reliable, the ECU control rarely fails, if your vehicle will not start it is probably due to the remote key fob. You may have to perform the above sequence if your vehicles battery has gone flat or it is disconnected. If all the above fails you have the EKA code.

do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you