Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

Reference Vectra C 1.9 CDTI 57 reg. Initial prob: engine

Customer Question

Hi, reference Vectra C 1.9 CDTI 57 reg.Initial prob: engine stopped running on round about, identified fuse 10 (passenger fascia) blown (CIM), replaced 7.5 amp fuse, vehicle ran for about 2 miles and stopped fuse 10 again, changed fuse and ran for approx 75 miles and stopped. After stripping down the CIM to just the (non removable) ignition switch and identifying constant live I can see that the black ( I assume the return/earth) looks to have suffered a degree of heat damage, tracing the black wire back leads to the BCM (no damage at this end). Isolating (cutting) this black wire stops fuse 10 tripping but of course removes the ability to complete a circuit and start the car.
Any help much appreciated. Aidy
Category: Car
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

Hello there,

I would replace the CIM in this case.

I have done many for GM Opel cars.

The new module needs to be programmed by an Opel/Vauxhall technician.

Gary

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have acquired a used CIM on fitting (prior to Programming) to power supply same symptoms exist.Aidy
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry forgot to mention fuse 10 blows immediately now.Aidy
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

Hi Aidy,

That is interesting.

I would say the black is not a ground, and it has possibly rubbed through to ground on the column or dash frame etc.

Gary

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If I was to back probe black wire from ignition switch plug through to BCM terminal what resistance (ohms) should I expect.
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

That length of wire end to end should be near enough zero ohms, but anything up to 1.5 ohms should be ok.

What have you got?

More importantly with both ends disconnected, there should be no continuity to ground, greater than 500k.

Gary

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Will checkAidy
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

Do you have any circuit drawings?

I'm in Australia, our Vectra doesn't come out with a 1.9 DT, so ours could be different.

Gary

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay Gary so it would appear the sparky gremlins have been at play. What showed as continuous wiring last night hence the belief I had found the two ends of the wire from Ignition switch to BCM is now showing no continuity, (it was late though) so I am back to the drawing board may take a while to find the appropriate wire. I can confirm though, as you suggested the black wire is no ground as it become live when the ignition key is turned.
I do not have any circuit drawings and such are significantly lacking on the internetRegards Aidy
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

So that wire must be grounded within the harness or shorted to framework somewhere in the dash.

What year is your Vectra?

Ill see if I can find a circuit drawing.

Gary

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Gary, well the plot seriously thickens, having now removed the dash I have traced the black wire (thinner than the rest would this identify a signal wire?) right back to a multi connector under the bonnet, weird thing is it doesn't go anywhere, that is I get continuity going in but when connector is disconnected there is no connector to take it out again. Vectra is a 57 reg, circuit drawing would be real helpful at a loss right now.
Aidy
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Also, the fuse that blows being F10, shows no continuity to the black wire.
Aidy
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

Hi Aidy,

What year is the Vectra, 1998, 2000 etc?

Gary

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Gary Vectra C is 2007 (57 UK reg)Cheers Aidy
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

Hi Aidy,

I don't have TIS access at the moment.

I can't find a circuit on the net either.

Would you like another tech to continue with you?

That F10 fuse is dedicated to the CIM, so the harness must have a short to ground.

Gary

Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

Hello Aidy,

I will opt out now to offer your question to others.

Gary

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hey Gary, problem sorted, have replaced CIM and re-programmed, all good, turns out low battery was the cause of the gremlins. Thanks for your support. Aidy
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

Hi Aidy,

Glad you sorted it.

All the best to you.

Gary