Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

I have just bought a 14 plate 2.0 diesel mondeo. I had a 60

Hi, I have just bought a 14 plate 2.0 diesel mondeo. I had a 60 plate previously and the new one has very poor mpg and is doing a regen a lot. Yesterday it seemed the turbo maybe wasn't kicked in all the time. I hooked it up to a diagnostic and took it a spin, it's did 3 re gens in about 50 miles. Each time the soot level went down to about 20% but shot up to 50 then crept up until a regen.
Category: Car
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Your DPF filter may be restricted and the computer may be seeing this and is trying to clean it out.I have seen some models do this before when the DPF was severely clogged up and the DPF either had to be removed and professionally cleaned or removed and replaced.When it goes into regen this much this will cause poor mpg as well as running issues in some cases.

I would have the DPF checked to see if it needs to be cleaned or replaced to resolve this fault here.I would also have the exhaust sensors tested to see if one may be faulty sending a false signal causing the regen to occur over and over as this is another possibility.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi, could the issue not be to do with creating excessive soot? Is, the bad mpg cause, also causing excess soot. Could it be a faulty breather pipe for the turbo?

It is possible that injectors that are allowing to much fuel into the engine is causing excess soot and is the root cause here.I have seen injectors act up before causing this type of fault needing replaced.I dont see this as a breather pipe issue or turbo fault.This sounds more like a fuel related issue needing checked into or a fault with the dpf itself needing replaced or removed and cleaned professionally.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, I haven't got any codes thrown up, with the dpf possibly at fault would you expect this to throw a code? Also do you know how much a dpf change would be roughly?

Usually it would throw a fault code but it may be at a point where the computer just thinks it needs a regen and hasnt set a code.This is possible.I dont show an exact cost for dpf replacement on your model here but I have seen some run over $1000 to have replaced unfortunately.

Thanks Pete