Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

I have a Kia Sportage 1.9 Diesel car - 7 years old. Why does

I have a Kia Sportage 1.9 Diesel car - 7 years old. Why does my emission warning light come on and then go out a couple of days later?

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What is happening is your computer is detecting a problem with one of the engine components that is involved with emissions operation intermittently.This may be something like the EGR valve or another emissions component acting up intermittently.

What needs to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out of all computers using a fully compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your model that can read all computers in your vehicle.Once this is done any codes set then need to be diagnosed to then locate and repair the fault.

The best time to have this done is when the light is on or right after the light has been on.But this does have to be done to locate and repair this fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Your answer is exactly what I expected - a diagnostic readout. I was hoping that your experience might have narrowed down the issue. I have had this "warning light" problem for several months, usually after I have had to do a long journey on faster roads than my local run to the shops. The light will remain on for a few days and then turn off for maybe weeks. My car runs perfectly except when I occasionally experience power loss if I have to accelerate suddenly and then I have to ease back.I accept that I have to have the diagnostic test done but that has to be at a Kia garage, and they always charge enormous sums of money. I was hoping that you would be able to tell me if I have a major problem that will be expensive, or whether it might be something simple.Thank you

I apologize for the delay as I was offline the last few days.

It is difficult to narrow down the fault without knowing the code set and seeing the vehicle.But if the engine is running properly and the vehicle drives and operates properly and there is no excess smoke from the exhaust most likely this will be a minor repair like an evap sensor or EGR sensor costing less then $200 to $300 to have repaired.

But without knowing what codes are set it is difficult to pinpoint it for sure.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete