Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

08opel Astra got compression done garage said it was one of

Customer Question

08opel Astra got compression done garage said it was one of the valves has bad a rotten egg smell for a while
Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any leaks lately?
Customer: 140542 noleaks
Assistant: What year is your Astra?
Customer: 08
Assistant: Are you fixing your Astra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Had it to garage compression test one valve not doin it's job
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It has s
Category: Car
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Usually what happens is an exhaust valve or intake valve can burn or become damaged on one side and causes lower than normal compression.To find out which valve the engine needs to be turned over by hand until both valves are closed and the piston is up towards the top.Then a leak down tester installed into the spark plug hole and air applied to that cylinder.If the air is heard escaping from the exhaust it is an exhaust valve.If it is heard escaping through the intake it is the intake valve at fault.The cylinder head would need to be removed to then be determined if just the valve and valve seat can be replaced or if the entire cylinder head needs to be replaced.

This can be a failure that occurs unfortunately as I have seen before and had to repair.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete